Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Lesson taught by New Year!!

A lesson New Year of 1990 taught me!

In late 80's I was working in Marketing and every new year I too used to get few calendars as well as diaries. Don't know whether it was selfishness or perhaps unthinking, but I used to use only one big and good diary and used to stuff all the other diaries in the bottom draw of my desk. Calendars of course, I used to give it to colleagues as we can't normally store them because of their odd size/packings :(

In January, 1990 when I tried to push one such diary in to the draw it wasn't going inside and surprised I peeped in and found it full of unused diaries of previous 3/4 years!!

I pulled out ALL those diaries and sperad them on my desk. Then it stuck me... I felt like Emperor Ashoka after the Kalinga War staring at the dead bodies and wondering about the futility of it all :(

There starting at me were at least 20 diaries all useless now for any one! And you should've seen the looks of my colleagues when I spread them on the table!!

That very second I got enlightenment of sorts...immediately disposed all of them and ever since that day every year I just kept the first good diary and started giving off all the other diaries to all my colleagues. And every one was happy.

Nowadays thanks to being in business I don't get (m)any diaries :(

That small incident taught me a lesson...don't keep more than what you need whatever it may be.

While on the subject I wonder why corporates keep giving diaries/ calendars year after year? I mean every corporate gives the same and how many calendars/ diaries one can use? They either go waste or given to some one they might also not use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment