Thursday, May 18, 2023

Destiny - 2

Month: August, 1998.

Date: Forgot. And it’s irrelevant, immaterial and inconsequential!! If you've read English books of 50's & 60's you would know from where I got this phrase!

Time: 6-30 PM.

I was sitting alone in my office in the second floor in Ameerpet X Roads. By the way I had a corner office back then😎

(For those of you who don't know me or haven't bothered to read my Bio I'm A Recruitment Consultant since 1996)

Suddenly a young guy popped in hesitatingly and murmured "Where's the washroom"?

Since my office is the last room he presumed it to be a washroom and I could see that he was visibly disappointed!

Told him it's on the third floor.

As I was looking through the window enjoying the sound and sight of the rain outside he appeared again and this time he entered my office and came up to my table.

I was a bit perplexed and wondered whether he would ask me for tissue paper 😂


But to my surprise he didn't. Instead, he asked "Are you a Recruitment Consultant"?

Obviously in his earlier visit he saw my name board above the front door but postponed his urge to meet me as he's had other pressing need at that point of time!

I said "Yes. Of course!"

Then he unbuttoned the top button of his shirt and like a magician pulling out a rabbit from a hat pulled out a paper and put it on my table and sat in the chair.

Obviously that piece of paper was his resume!

Now this would definitely come as a surprise to the Gen Z and Millennials! But sales guys in those days were known to carry their resume with them in different novel ways like this. You never know when you need one you know!

Well in those days there were no handy hand wash lotions so I couldn't disinfect his resume and had to handle it with ungloved hands. Eeks.

Anyway I knew he is a sales guy seeing where he kept his resume (close to his heart, so to say!).

I interacted with him just as I would any other candidate and realized that he fits the bill for a sales position I've on hand in a national company for which I had no good candidates for the same.

It's as if God sent him my way saying how desperately I was struggling to find suitable candidate.

Just to put it in the right perspective there were no job portals (as well as email and Mobile) in those days and the only way to get candidates is by word of mouth! Or through out of box ideas which is my favorite.

So imagine my luck. A right candidate walking into my office with his resume! Nothing short of a miracle.

Since I was also a sales guy, I wasted no time in "selling" that job to him and he agreed to attend the interview.

I immediately called the concerned client and faxed the resume and that guy was called for an interview on the very next day.

He was found suitable and got selected. He joined shortly thereafter.

- a guy in a heavy rain looking for a washroom on the second floor
- and discovering my office in the process
- and me having the "right" job on hand at that point of time
- and that guy also looking for a change of job
- and the client finding him suitable for their needs

- isn't ALL of these Destiny?! Or do you have a better explanation?

1 comment:

  1. It's destiny, sir......hope the person got a great career... Must say very interesting anecdote

    ReplyDelete